PannetArtStudio - Blog & Events

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Serena Williams...watch out!!

Last year, sometime around April, my oldest daughter and I got a "Groupon" for tennis lessons. I like tennis...just couldn't keep the ball in the park. If I was playing baseball I wouldn't even hit the ball! I digress. The lessons helped tremendously and I continued with lessons (after the groupon sessions) through a "meet up" group near where I live. It was fun and I learned something. Didn't learn how to keep score, didn't learn how to control the ball or place it where I wanted it to go, & didn't learn how to serve. I did learn how to finally hit the dang ball!!!
Well it's a year later and just like learning to drive a stick shift everything came together and I can actually play a game (a real game!) of tennis!
Of course playing one day a week does not a "tennis player" make and I'd like to play more often but more often than not I don't have the energy to play "Jacks" much less anything else during the week. Who said "retirement" was easy?!!! I usually play on Sunday mornings and most times (since the courts are free and available) we play for a couple of hours....sometimes longer.  Since there are usually 14 or 15 of us (for three courts) each person is NOT playing for the whole two hours...which is good since most of us wouldn't be able too!! Me in particular....I'm usually leaning on my racquet about 50 minuets into a game! I've learned though that I need to eat before I expend that kind of energy.....who knew???  My thinking was if I didn't eat and did vigorous cardio I'd burn more fat of my body!!!!  Not a good idea.
Well I do eat (now!) but I am not a proponent of drinking anything blue, dayglo green, chemo red or gasoline (urine) yellow....nooooo , none of those drinks for me!! Not gatorade, propel, 5-hour, none of those! Water, water, water and I've learned that even water needs help when it comes to replenishing your body.
I didn't play tennis the Sunday it was Easter, nor that Wednesday.  I did go out this past Sunday and "meet up" with the group. I had taken my nutritional drink, had a great breakfast, stretched and while driving to the courts I mixed the supplemental powder that came with my weight management system in water and drank it.
Being one of the co-hosts for the group my partner and I divided the group into three sets of doubles with four people rotating in as each group completed a set of three games.
Most of the players are considered "beginners" but except for three or four players (I'm one) everyone plays as if they are in a serious competitive tournament!!
The fourth thing I've noticed about the nutritional supplements I'm taking is this: I had so much energy I felt great and I won three straight sets of tennis playing against people decades younger than me!! (My partner was in his early 30's and our opponents were 19 and early 40's!!). Our game lasted two hours because they were not letting up....taking it easy on the "ole lady"!! One of my opponents asked me "what did you eat for breakfast?!" We whupped 'em good!! AND I was not sore, tired, or drained afterwards!!
Serena, watch out....here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment